Collection of Personal Information
We may source and hold personal information about you that is relevant to providing you with the legal services you are seeking. We may request you to supply personal information including:
- your name, gender, date and place of birth, address, telephone number, email address, facsimile number and other contact information;
- your banking details, tax file number, insurance history and other financial information;
- your business circumstances;
- your family circumstances;
- details about your property, assets and investments;
- other personal information relevant to providing you with the legal you are seeking.
Your personal information will generally be collected directly from you through the use of standard forms, through a telephone conversation with you, via email or over the internet. We may also collect personal information about you from publicly available registers or agencies as well as third parties acting on your behalf.
Disclosure of personal information to us is optional. However, if you choose not to disclose personal information requested by us, or if the personal information you provide to us is incomplete or inaccurate, we may be unable to provide you with the legal services you are seeking.
Use of Your Personal Information
Generally, we collect, hold and use your personal information for the purposes of:
- providing legal advice and services to you or someone you know;
- responding to your requests or queries;
- maintaining contact with you;
- providing you with information about other services that we offer that may be of interest to you;
- meeting regulatory obligations and facilitating our internal business operations.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Generally, we only disclose personal information about you in accordance with the purposes for which the personal information was collected.
We may however disclose your personal information to the following third parties:
- entities or persons engaged by us to perform various functions such as marketing, research and processing payments;
- entities or persons when outsourcing services, such as data storage, debt collection, delivery of products, distribution and mailing and obtaining expert help from consultants, advisers and other relevant persons (such as barristers, mediators, accountants, publishers and printers, accountants and witnesses);
- entities or persons authorised by you to receive your personal information;
- as required or permitted or required by law.
Otherwise, we will only disclose personal information to third parties with the relevant individual’s consent or if the disclosure is permitted by law.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Overseas Recipients
Your personal information may be sent overseas in order to provide the legal services you are seeking. The countries in which recipients of your personal information are likely to be located are dependent upon the specific circumstances of the engagement and the nature of the legal services you are seeking.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
You agree that any personal information you provide to us is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
We store your personal information in different ways, including in paper and in electronic form.
We take reasonable steps to secure the personal information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by various, means including electronic and physical security measures.
Management of Your Personal Information
Please contact us if you wish to request additional general information in relation to:
- the personal information we hold about you;
- the purposes for which we use personal information;
- how we collect personal information;
- to whom we disclose personal information.
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information
You have the right to access and correct personal information we hold about you (subject to certain exceptions contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)).
If you make a request to access personal information that we hold about you, we may charge a fee to meet the cost of processing your request.
If you would like more information about the way we manage personal information or would like to request access to or correction of personal information that we hold about you or if you wish to make a complaint, please contact us by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: 128 Victoria Parade, Rockhampton, Qld, 4700
- Telephone: (07) 4936 9100
If you are not satisfied with our response to any queries or concerns you may have in relation to the way we collect, manage, store or use your personal information, you may complain directly to the Australian Information Commissioner.