Skip to content

Family Law Alert – COVID-19

Family Law Alert COVID-19

We are certainly in extraordinary times, however South Geldard Lawyers aims to provide legal services to our valued clients to the extent that we are able.

Our office remains open for business. We kindly ask that:

  • You do not attend our office if you are unwell;
  • Have been diagnosed with COVID-19;
  • Have had any contact with diagnosed cases of COVID-19 or persons who have returned from overseas in the last 14 days; or
  • You have travelled from overseas within the last 14 days.

The health and safety of our clients and staff during this pandemic is a priority.

We are endeavoring to minimise face to face appointments and will offer both telephone and video conferencing appointments if you are unable or do not wish to attend our office in person.

Family Law

Each of our family lawyers, Vicki Jackson, Accredited Specialist, and Luke Collins are available to take electronic appointments.

The courts have advised that we are still able to file new applications so that at least your matter can be initiated in the system so that when the court is conducting trials you will be ahead of those who wait until after this crisis has passed to file their applications.

In the unfortunate event of a forced lockdown, our lawyers will continue to be available by telephone and video conferencing facilities. We will have arrangements in place for you to call our usual office number (07) 4936 9100 to contact us. Our email system will remain operational and will be checked on a daily basis.

TIME LIMITS – you need to be aware that if you need assistance with a division of property after your divorce or after you and your de facto partner separate, there are time limits.

You must file an application for a property settlement within 12 months of your divorce order being finalised. Failure to do so means that you must seek the leave (permission) of the court. Leave is not guaranteed and will involve you in additional expense.

If you and your partner have resided in a de facto relationship, you must similarly make an application for orders dividing your property within two years from when you separate. It is always important to understand that you or your partner may have different views about when you actually separated.

Claims on Deceased Estates

If you have any concerns about not benefiting under a Will there are also time limits within which you must give notice to the executor and within which to file an application for provision out of the estate. If you have any concerns about these time limits or whether you might be entitled to make such a claim, do not hesitate to contact us to arrange to discuss these issues.

For more information, It is important to seek specific advice from our Rockhampton, Brisbane, and Yeppoon lawyers regarding your circumstances as this fact sheet provides general information only and does not constitute legal advice.