Skip to content


Child support payments are payments made by one or both parents to cover the costs of caring for the child/children (usually until they finish high school or turn 18).

Commonly parents apply for child support through Department of Human Services (previously referred to as “the Child Support Agency”). The Department of Human Services (DHS) issue child support assessments based on various criteria.

Depending on your unique circumstances, it may be advantageous to enter into a private child support agreement with your former partner (being either a “Limited Child Support Agreement” or a “Binding Child Support Agreement”). These types of agreements can provide for the payment of additional expenses such as medical and extra-curricular activities. Our Rockhampton family lawyers are experienced at drafting such agreements to ensure they are legally binding and enforceable.

You should also contact us for legal advice if:

  • Concerns have surfaced about the identity of the child’s biological parent (including DNA testing or providing proof of paternity)
  • Your ex-husband or wife lives outside of Australia.
  • You are a carer parent and have concerns about child support or child maintenance issues (including the DHS decisions)
  • You are a liable (paying) parent and have questions about child support or child maintenance issues (including the DHS decisions)
  • You don’t understand or disagree with changes to your child support assessment.

We can also advise you on the circumstances in which Adult Child Maintenance may apply for children over the age of 18 years. The Family Law Act does give the Court the power to make such Orders on a case by case basis.


Vicki Jackson Consultant
Peter Zufic Senior Lawyer
Luke Collins Senior Lawyer

Extensive Experience

Our professional team has extensive experience in a wide range of legal areas. Our approach is one of planning and involvement. We will continue to be there to support you with accurate and timely advice.